1) Certified Pool Operations
The CPO®course of the National Swimming Pool Foundation has been designed specifically for pool operators. The CPO® course provides pool managers and operator with the practical and technical information they require to safely and effectively maintain their pools. The 2012 course will be held April 16 - 18 in Halifax, Nova Scotia at the Canada Games Center, 26 Thomas Raddall Dr. Registration closes April 11, 2012. For more information and to register www.rfans.com
2) Maritime Arena Operations Institute 2012 - Level one provides level entry instruction while level two moves to the more advance levels of operation and has a pre-requisite of certification in Level one.The 2012 course will be held June 11 - 14 in Charlottetown, PEI at the CARI Centre, 550 University Ave.To register on-line, starting March 9, 2012 here. Registration closes June 6, 2012.Gain the essential skills and knowledge you need to
become a great arena operator—ice making, ice painting, refrigeration, ice resurfacing, energy and risk management. For more information and to register www.rfans.com
Arenas are invited to apply for a Doug Moore Scholarship to attend the MAOI arena training at the CARI Complex in June 11-14, 2012. www.recreationpei.ca
3) 2012 RFANS Provincial Symposium And Trade Show:Are You Prepared?
May 15 - 18, 2012 at the Holiday Inn located in Truro, Nova Scotia. The focus is helping facility Managers, Operators and Municipal officials determine if they are truly "Prepared" to maintain their facilities in times of Disaster, or deal with Human Resources/Financial, or Government change whether that be regulatory or socially driven.We are planning for 60 exhibitors, bringing the newest equipment, fads and industry improvements. Register before March 31 and qualify to win your own personal Disaster Preparedness Kit. For more information and to register www.rfans.com 4) The Mental Health First Aid for Adults Who Work with Youth workshop will be conducted on March 29 and 30, 2012 at the Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa. This is a no cost workshop. Limited space is available and the deadline for registration is March 26, 2012 at noon. For registration click: http://www.prontario.org/index.php?ci_id=7513 These training opportunities are made possible through support from the Public Health Agency of Canada and the Government of Ontario.The Ontario After School Collaborative email@example.com 416-426-7142
5) Participation Webinar – Brian Johnston Presenting on National Recreation Agenda ParticipACTION is hosting a webinar that is focusing on 3 national strategies in the sport, physical activity and recreation sectors – Canadian Sport Policy 2.0, Active Canada 20/20 and National Recreation Agenda. The ParticipACTION webinars are designed to facilitate knowledge exchange and sharing between partners, and will allow participants to connect, share insights and potentially collaborate on future initiatives. The online Forum will be taking place on March 21, 1:00pm-2:30pm (EST). There will be both a phone and online component of the Forum. If you are interested in participating in this Forum please email forum@participACTION.com by March 19th. Feel free to share this invitation with your network – all are welcome them.
6) Vote for Pownal Sports Centre - One of three Finalists on PEI http://krafthockeyville.cbc.ca/community/album/aid/10426#note-title
Hockey is Like Sunshine - by Karen Brown
The sport of Hockey is like sunshine to many children in our community. Our local Pownal Sports Centre is the hallmark of our sports community. We have a very dedicated group of parents and volunteers who provide our children with amazing programs and life long skills. One of these excellent programs is; Skills and Drills. This program provides an excellent basis for children just learning the sport. If our community won the Early Bird Prize this would help supply equipment for this program. I have witnessed the sunshine in the children\'s faces when they are on the ice. The program also provides children with special needs the opportunity to play hockey, plus we have numerous children with chronic illnesses who love to play the sport. As a trainer, I have seen and witnessed the excitement and enthusiasm these children have and this makes the time with them enlightening and vibrant- like the morning sun.
7) go!PEI Winter Active Programs - Check out the Calendar of events at www.gopei.ca If you would like to receive the regular go!PEI e-news letter please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
8) Request for information from PEI Colleague: Looking for information on facility booking policies for non profit and community groups. They recently opened up a renovated Civic Centre and are wondering if any of you know of or have policies around these types of bookings? This facility has a few community rooms that accommodate up to 30 people and then a main hall which could accommodate up to 150 people. Your help is much appreciated. Kim Meunier, Manager Parks & Recreation Town of Cornwall. (902) 628-6260 ext 225 email@example.com
9) ThinkFirst! Contest. We are encouraging the kids in your life to tell us how they think first before participating in their favorite activities at home, school, or play. All creative art projects are welcome, including film, drawing, music, poetry.. and more! All entrants have a chance to win FREE HELMETS for their entire classroom! Individuals and groups/classes may apply. All submissions must be post-marked on or before March 30 and mailed
to: ThinkFirst Pensez d’Abord Canada
750 Dundas Street West Suite 3-314
Toronto, ON M6J 3S3
Please be sure to fill out and sign the permission form and attach to each entry. It and more information can be found at www.ithinkfirst.ca.
10) $500 SOGO grants are available for teens in your community. Example of a grant is a table tennis table and equipment from Table Tennis PEI. Community hosts are to encourage youth to register at sogoactive.com and the youth registration will enter you in a draw for a $10 Sport Check gift card and one grand prize of $100 gift card. Draw ends March 31. www.sogoactive.com